
I have just seen a little bit of an interview of the Octuplets mum. She and her mother were arguing over the affects that it has on her other children. Her mother told her that she shouldn't have had any more children but then added having just one more would have been ok. The Octuplets mum said that then gave the reason as to why she had all eight children. She said 'they (fertility clinic) gives you a choice- use the embryos or destroy them.' The grandmother said she should have just left them frozen.
I am a big pro-lifer, even before I became a Christian and so I can't help but understand why this mother did want to use all her embryos. IVF was what we were told would be the only way we were probably going to get pregnant and so we had to do a little research into it. What we found out was that many fertility clinics wouldn't harvest less than around 10 eggs if they were to do it. The chances of all 10 eggs becoming embroys and then implanting was not high. But then what happened if the very first embryo worked and then the second as a pro-lifer we would need to look at having 10 children. Which is a lot- really a lot.
There is a lot of bad circumstances surrounding this mother such as the fact that she wanted to parent children all by herself. Also that a fertility clinic would use so many eggs at once, especially after she already had so many children. And many many other things are just not right. But I could help but think about all those frozen embryos and was happy for someone to say- they are a life and that we can't just destroy them.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25099855-663,00.html
1 comment:
Yes, she has quite a mess on her hands. I'm not sure she had the purest of motives in having all those children. I do applaud her attitude about a life being a life, but I think she could have taken the high road of choosing parents to donate them to (almost like picking adoption parents). She has no means whatsoever of taking care of or paying for them. Her mother is already worn down by the six she's been "raising" for her daughter.
It's a prickly question of ethics for sure!
Post a Comment