Thursday, October 16, 2008

Its only you

Most morning after I have put Sweetness back for her morning sleep and Princess is watching Play School I turn on the computer and read the news on various papers from the big three-Home, UK and US papers. Well if you see the day it is today the headline that dominates is the breakdown of a marriage. A marriage that involves three children, one already from a unusual set of circumstances, another was adopted into the family and now all three will lose what little stability they had in life.

I can't express just how sad it is to see another marriage ended for what I believe is pure selfishness. Sure I really don't know the ins and outs of what has happened but besides domestic violence (physical or mental) there is no valid excuse for couples to not be able to make a marriage work.

Of course this is my opinion and some may think it is warped but it is my blog and I feel it is appropriate for me to discuss my feelings on these matters.

Life is difficult, we can not expect to grow or mature without any hardships in life. Marriage is no different. There are going to be wonderful joys in a marriage, like when we are on our honeymoon, the birth of a new child, a great day at the beach as a family. There are going to be difficult times- sleepless nights with a new baby, jealousy over the attractive new co-worker of your husband/wife, struggling with the demands of family and work. We all are going to struggle in life and marriage but the bottom line is - it is our decision to make a marriage work.

I understand that we can not control another person and make them stay in the marriage but we certainly influence them. If a husband is unhappy with his wife and starts turning his attentions to a flirty co-worker, is that the end of a marriage. The wife can choose to make it work or give up, she does still have some influence and if her next step is the right one her husband would not look anywhere but at his own wife because he doesn't need any attention but hers.

I could give example after example but I am not wanting to fix any specific problems I just want to express how sad it makes me that these two people have decided to end a marriage. And because these are two people in the spotlight it influences more than just their own families it influences the world. What a shame that people who work so hard on their careers are not willing to put that same effort into their marriages.

1 comment:

Cheri (aka "The Mom Lady") said...

I assume you are talking about Madonna (our worst export ever) and Guy Ritchie? Celebrities seem to be serial "marry-ers" with divorce as the "fix-it" when the infatuation wears off. This one lasted a lot longer than I thought it would. Marriage to those in the world has completely different paradigms than to those of us in Christ. And as she was married before, she wasn't truly "married" in God's eyes in that she had that original vow.

The older I get, the more thankful I am for "anonymity". I cannot imagine having to deal with private issues in a public forum with newspaper and magazine articles splashing some version, true or otherwise, of personal relationship issues everywhere. Just knowing my parents or kids know when something is "brewing" is bad enough without the world being party to it. Princess Diana comes to mind.